DLR Waves v Peamount United

DLR Waves v Bohemian FC

University College Dublin AFC v Cork City

UCD AFC v Treaty United

DLR Waves v Wexford Youths

UCD AFC v Waterford

Prince grabs late Waterford winner

Prince Mutswunguma’s 91st minute winner meant First Division side UCD were controversially knocked out of the FAI Cup after their 3-2 loss to Waterford.

The two sides went into the dressing room level after Colm Whelan’s opener was cancelled out by Armando Junior Quitirna’s strike.

Liam Kerrigan put the hosts back in front but Phoenix Patterson set up a grandstand finish.

Mutswunguma’s winner was in controversial circumstances after referee Robert Hennessey waved away a certain free kick at the other end in the build up to the goal.

Roared on by their boisterous support, the second-tier side started the better and went close through Whelan’s effort.

He then made no mistake firing the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area, to give the hosts a deserved lead.

A fiery encounter was emphasised by four yellow cards inside the opening 25 minutes, with eight yellows shown in total.

The visitors responded well to going behind and mounted pressure on the UCD goal, with Greg Halford and John Martin going close.

Quitirna put the Premier Division side level after Jack Keaney was dispossessed and the African striker was cool and composed in front of goal.

Against the run of play, the hosts went back in front through an excellent counterattack that finished with Morgan playing in the impressive Kerrigan, who slotted the ball brilliantly past Brian Murphy.

Mutswunguma won his side a penalty as he was tripped in the box by the clumsy legs of UCD defender Sam Todd.

Patterson sent the goalkeeper the wrong way and put the ball into the corner of the net.

Murphy denied Whelan putting UCD in front for a third time as he somehow managed to deny the striker from close range.

The students were dealt a great chance to go back in front when Jeremie Milambo committed a clumsy challenge on Kerrigan in the area.

But Whelan’s soft penalty was saved by the heroic Murphy.

In injury time, Player of the Match Mutswunguma scored the winning goal after tapping home Quitirna’s cross.

Tempers flared as UCD manager Andy Meyler was sent to the stands for his strong protests that his side were denied a certain free kick in the build-up to the winning goal.

DLR Waves v Galway WFC

DLR deliver against Galway

DLR Waves got their revenge on Galway for last week’s defeat in the FAI Cup quarter-final, as they saw off the same opponents 2-0 at Belfield Bowl.

The win seals back-to-back wins for Waves and has improved their outside chances of breaking into the top three.

Waves are in fourth on 29 points, 14 behind third place Wexford Youths but with two games in hand.

It was the visitors who started the better of the two sides, dominating possession and territory.

Meabh de Burca went close, before Jess Singleton put a great ball into the box that was reached by Kate Slevin who fired a shot at goal that was well saved by Eve Badana.

To the shock of all in attendance, the Waves took the lead completely against the run of play and what a goal it was.

Jetta Berrill produced an audacious effort from the right, on the edge of the box that fired over the helpless Leah Hayes Cohen and into the top left corner.

Galway were in shock as to how they were behind in a match they had dominated from the off but just a minute later they were dealt another blow.

Berrill then turned provider as she played a lovely ball across the face of goal that picked out Rachel Doyle, who tapped home from two yards out.

The two quickfire goals from the hosts really knocked the stuffing out of the visitors.

Becky Walsh spurned a great chance after she missed a header, just a yard out at the far post.

Julie-Ann Russell went close with an outside the box strike that was well tipped over by Republic of Ireland international Eve Badana.

In the second half, the home side sat back and endured pressure as they surrendered territory and possession.

But their game plan worked as they held on for an important three points.

University College Dublin AFC v Cabinteely

Liam leads for UCD

Liam Kerrigan was impressed, firing three of UCD's goals as the students delivered a 5-2 win over Cabinteely in the South Dublin derby at the UCD Bowl.

In a game that started at a furious pace with Cabinteely taking an early lead, UCD fought back to gain a half time 2-1 advantage. Both teams attacked strongly in the second half where the quality of Kerrigan shone through added to goals to his first-half effort to lead UCD to a comprehensive victory.

There were a couple of spectacular strikes that are well worth checking out as both teams scored long-distance efforts. 

Cabinteely raced into an early lead when Keith Dalton’s nice turn of pace earns a corned a corner for his side. Mitchell Byrne headed to the back of the net from the resulting corner to take a 1-0 lead.

Liam Kerrigan was a constant dangerman, displaying good skill throughout the night as both Keane and Doyle put him into good areas during the first half. UCD won a penalty when Kerrigan was adjudged to have been brought down in the area.

Whelan finished from the penalty spot and UCD raced into the lead within a minute when Doyle slipped in Kerrigan who calmly finishes to the back of the net. 

UCD threatened almost at every attack. Cabinteely impressed in patches but their defence was opened too easily at times. In the second half, Whelan cut in off the left wing, passed to Doyle who set up Kerrigan for UCD's third goal of the game.

Jack Keaney grabbed UCD’s fourth when he struck a thunderbolt of a free-kick from 30-metres out. Ben Feeney challenged him for goal of the night within two minutes, cutting in off the left to unleash a rocket into the top right hand corner of the net. However, any lingering hopes of a comeback was put to bed by Kerrigan, who grabbed his hat-trick in the 78th minute. 

Cabinteely never stopped trying to score but UCD just had too much quality in the attacking areas. Ben Feeney and Mitchell Beirne were impressive as was Kevin Knight for Cabinteely. For the students, Kerrigan stood out on the night, alongside some other notable performances from Harvey O’Brien and Evan Osam. 

University College Dublin AFC v Bray Wanderers

UCD hold out, despite late Bray rally

A dramatic finish but UCD managed to hold out to take all three points against Bray Wanderers on a 4-3 score-line at the UCD Bowl this evening in the SSE Airtricity League First Division.

UCD were 4-0 up going down the home straight after goals from Harvey O’Brien and Samm Todd in the first half and Liam Kerrigan and Eoin Farrell in the second half but super-sub Gary Shaw grabbed three goals between the 82nd and 96th minute to produce a grandstand finish but it was too little too late for the visitors.

In truth the students had the hard graft done after 20 minutes of the second half. Harvey O’Brien and Sam Todd’s goal in the 4th and 10th minutes of the first half had put them 2-0 up at half time. They had sat back a little prior to the interval and Joe Doyle and Darren Craven did have opportunities for the visitors but they didn’t yield the all-important goal.

The university men had chances from Mark Dignan, Sam Todd and Paul Doyle during that period too but didn’t extend their lead before the break.

However the home outfit picked up where they had left off midway through that opening half, in the closing 45 minutes.

Their third and fourth goals came in the 59th and 63rd minutes after good pressure play. This time Kerrigan and Farrell got themselves on the scoreboard.  

They continued to control the tempo but that was before the introduction of Shaw for the Seagulls on 61 minutes.

He got his first in the 82nd minute, added another nine minutes later, and then scored from the penalty spot deep in injury time – in the 96th minute to leave it 4-3. Unfortunately for Shaw and Bray Wanderers, it just came too late for them to take a share of the spoils.

So UCD pull ahead of Wanderers in the First Division table – the two had been locked at 33 points apiece prior to this tie.

An interesting evening in Belfield, with plenty of dramatics but ultimately a win for the home side.

UCD AFC v Longford Town

UCD gain Cup revenge on Longford

UCD got their revenge from last season’s Premier Division relegation playoffs against Longford, by confirming their presence in the Extra.ie FAI Cup quarter-finals, with a 2-1 win at the Belfield Bowl, with all the score changes happening in the second 45 minutes.

After a fairly flat first half, the First Division side changed the score in the 69th minute, courtesy of Paul Doyle, with the goal scorer Colm Whelan pushing the Students through the next stage 10 minutes from death after Dean Williams’ equaliser.

Darragh Nugent sent in the first proper attempt of the clash from long range in the 12th minute, although this wasn't much of a deal for Lorcan Healy to control.

Conor Davies reinforced the visitors’ intentions connecting to Dylan Grimes’ corner clipped in, as he saw the ball flash across the front of the goal.

Town came close to take advantage of the momentum from a free out, with the ball landing on the roof of Lorcan Healy’s goal.

The students conquered some yards with 30 minutes on the clock, as they saw a sequence of two dangerous shots blocked by the defense, a warning that woke up the opponents from a short nap.

Evan Weir brought the best chance to break the locker close to the break, with a surprising-powerful shot from long range, with Michael Kelly keeping the 0-0 score-line with a full-length save.

The navy-blue outfit returned eager from the dressing room and delivered a serious warning after 10minutes. Jack Keaney, from a free out, saw his tremendous shot rattling the crossbar.

The foundations got shaken 20 minutes from death when Paul Doyle’s freekick went straight into the back of Michael Kelly’s net putting the First Division group in the lead.

It took less than 60 seconds for The Town’s response, as Dean Williams put it all square again from inside the 6-yards box.

UCD’s ticket into the next stage came through a Whelan moment of magic; the goal scorer put his name on the scoresheet for the second consecutive round in the FAI Cup with a stunner from the edge of the box, leaving no chances for Michael Kelly.