Gortletteragh v Leitrim Gaels

Gortletteragh get off the mark

It was third time lucky for Gortletteragh as they picked up their first win of the Leitrim Senior Championship at the expense of Leitrim Gaels in Gortletteragh on Saturday evening.

Having lost their previous two games to Melvin Gaels and Glencar-Manorhamilton, the 2020 Intermediate Champions knew they needed to get something out of this game if they were to avoid finishing bottom of their group.

In what was an enjoyable game the lead changed several times and going into the final 10 minutes Leitrim Gaels were ahead by three but Gortletteragh showed great heart and determination.

Both sides ended the game with 14 men; Colm Moreton received a second yellow for Gaels in the 56th minute while in the third minute of stoppage time Gortletteragh’s Oisin Niblock was shown a black card.

Gortletteragh made a good start to the game and kicked over two early points. Leitrim Gaels replied with two points to draw level in the ninth minute. Gortletteragh regained the lead one minute later when Evan Ward’s shot somehow ended up in the back of the net. 

Three minutes later and Gaels got a goal to go back in front; Enda Moreton with the goal after good play from Shane Rynn.

Gaels kicked over six points in a row to go five ahead in the 22nd minute. Jack Heslin got a much needed point for his side in the 24th minute but was cancelled out by a point from Colm Moreton and in the 30th minute Oisin Curley put Gaels ahead by six points.

In the second minute of first half stoppage time Gortletteragh were back in the game; Cathal McCann did very well to win the ball for his side and Padraig Gallagher ended up shooting to the net. A pointed free from Francie Flynn cut the gap to just two going in at the break - 1-10 to 2-05.

Gortletteragh made a great start to the second half; points from Flynn (free) and McCrann drew them level in the 36th minute. Gaels were back in front by two points in the 43rd minute.

Gaels substitute David Regan was denied a goal in the 44th minute by a fine save from Gortletteragh keeper Niall Tiernan. Both sides traded points and two points from Regan (one free) edged Gaels ahead by four points in the 52nd minute.

Gortletteragh fought back and Gallagher did well to get a goal in the 53rd minute to bring his side back into the game.

Gaels were reduced to 14 men in the 56th minute when Colm Moreton was shown a second yellow card. One minute later and Gortletteragh got their fourth goal; McCrann played a free to Heslin, he played a superb ball across the face of the goals and Keoghan McGovern palmed it to the net. Gortletteragh were ahead by one.

Francie Flynn kicked over two frees as Gaels conceded a number of frees. In the third minute of stoppage time Gortletteragh’s Oisin Niblock received a black card. It mattered little. Flynn kicked over another free one minute later to put his side ahead by four.

At the end Gaels were awarded a penalty after Conor Guckian was fouled, Aidan Flynn took the kick but blasted the ball over the bar. It was the last action of an action packed game.

Gortletteragh v Melvin Gaels

Gortletteragh lose out to Gaels on Senior return

There was no welcome return to Senior Championship Football for Gortletteragh as they fell to a seven point defeat to Melvin Gaels in their opening Group 2 encounter at Gortletteragh on Saturday evening.

Gortletteragh had claimed the 2020 Intermediate Championship in impressive style just a fortnight ago but found the going tough against the Gaels on Saturday evening at home in Cornageeha.

After falling behind to a Darragh Rooney goal Gortletteragh worked hard to get back into the game and trailed by one point at the break: 1-06 to 0-08. But in the second half they struggled for scores and could only raise the umpires flag twice in that half hour.

Paul McGuire’s side were dealt a huge blow with talisman Jack Heslin picking up an injury. He was named on the bench but didn’t make an appearance on the field.

Leitrim star Darragh Rooney impressed for Melvin Gaels in this game along with Conor Sheridan, Peter McGowan and U20 player Caolan Clancy.

Gortletteragh made a fine start to the game and kicked over the game’s opening points. Melvin Gaels were back on level terms inside the fifth minute. A fine point from Gaels captain Peter McGowan edged them in front in the sixth minute.

It was a tight opening quarter and the sides drew level for a second time in the 14th minute. Gortletteragh had a chance to go ahead minutes later but the ball hit the post, Melvin Gaels broke up the field and a high ball in from Darragh Rooney eluded Gortletteragh goalkeeper and Melvin forward Cillian McGloin and ended up in the back of the net.

They were four ahead but credit to Gortletteragh they fought back and with Francie Flynn in fine form they were just one point behind going in at the break.

Melvin Gaels upped their performance in the second half and Gortletteragh were unable to contain them. They were lively up front, while their defence soaked up any Gortletteragh pressure, limiting the home side to just those two scores.

Clancy and Rooney caused problems throughout and they kicked a number of wides too. Gortletteragh just couldn’t get a run on them. Padraig Gallagher was on target for them in the second half while Evan Ward had a chance for a goal.

Melvin Gaels were four up inside the opening 10 minutes of the second half. Gortletteragh cut the gap to three but that was the closest they were to get to them.

Clancy hit over a mark and a free while Rooney was also on the scoresheet as the Kinlough side made a winning start to this year’s Leitrim Senior Football Championship.


Gortletteragh v Carrigallen

Gortletteragh v Fenagh St. Caillins

Gortletteragh v Carrigallen

Gortletteragh v St. Patrick’s Dromahair