Date Time Competition Season
26 June 2022 1:45 pm Sam Maguire Cup 2022

Match Report

Galway advance after shootout

Galway beat Armagh on penalties in an incredible war of attrition in front of a big Croke Park crowd to advance to their first All Ireland Semi-Final since 2018.

The Tribesmen now know that Ulster Champions Derry await them in the Semi-Final in two weeks' time back in Croker.

The game was as tight as many predicted, with both teams very evenly matched and struggling to pull away, which after two one-sided Quarter-Finals yesterday, was important for the game.

Galway believed they had the game won in regulation with a four-point lead in the dying minutes and a man advantage, but a dramatic Armagh comeback including two goals and a mighty Rian O’Neill equalising point levelled at the death.

Clinical from the spot, the Tribesmen went 4 from 4 with Campbell and Turbitt missing for Armagh. Tierney, wearing 27 after being cut up in the red card incident scored the winner.

Galway struggled to break down a very strong Armagh block and get up to match speed early on. It was Comer who got the opening score of the game for the Tribesmen but Armagh would take control with the next four points through Grugan, Campbell, O’Neill and Nugent. Armagh holding a commanding lead in the opening quarter of the game. 

The Tribesmen figured out shortly after how to get some change out of the Armagh defence, with some range scoring getting them back in the match through Tierney, Finnerty, and McDaid.

The Orchard kept Galway at bay through the first and second dead ball scores of the afternoon, both pointed by Rory Grugan off the left.

Shane Walsh showed his class for Galway bringing them back to within a point with two free-kicks, one off of each foot. An incredible talent to have in the modern game. 

Matthew Tierney brought the sides level on the 33rd minute from play, and that would be the final score before the interval. Draw game at the break, a scoreline of Armagh 0-7 0-7 Galway.

Galway drew first blood at the start of the second half through Matthew Finnerty kicking into the Hill 16 end but Armagh levelled immediately through Conor O’Neill’s fisted effort. 

The first green flag went to Galway on 40 minutes. Matthew Tierney’s effort was tipped onto the bar but the resulting possession and scrambling Armagh defence left Johnny Heaney wide open to palm the ball into the back of the net. Shane Walsh added a point immediately off the restart to put Galway into a 4 point lead. 

Armagh showed levels of calmness similar to that against Donegal by bringing themselves back into the game through Nugent and Campbell scores.

Finnerty, Kelly and blood sub Ó Laoí kept the Galway scoreboard ticking between a Campbell score for Armagh to leave the Tribesmen leading by four with 15 to play. 

The Orchard would not go away without a fight. Rian O’Neill and sub Conor Turbitt brought the deficit back to just two. Galway without a score in over 10 minutes. 

Greg McCabe saw red from referee Goldrick after a shoulder tackle that made some head contact with Matthew Tierney. Tierney required some patchwork as the tackle drew blood and was replaced by Ó Laoí, coming in as a blood sub for the second time. 

Galway pulled away with the man advantage, Shane Walsh and Damien Comer adding points in quick succession. 

Paul Conroy made the man advantage count five points with a superb long-range point to all but surely write the Tribesmen on the Semi-Final ballot...

Or so they thought, Armagh staged a dramatic comeback in the eight minutes of injury time at the end of regulation. 

Nugent brought the Orchard within three on the 71st minute with a close-range finish, Armagh full of energy as a result.

Comer brought the game back to two scores shortly after.

Armagh came back once more though, Conor Turbitt smashed home just inside the box on the 75th minute after Gleeson in the Galway net failed to clear. 

Rian O’Neill stepped up to kick the equalising point from about 55 metres out to bring the game to extra time, capping an incredible Armagh comeback. 

Full-time saw unsavoury scenes with a brawl between huge numbers from both teams. A lot to be sorted out after the game with potential suspensions to follow. 

Galway won the first half of extra time by three points to two. The game slowed down as the pace of the 80 minutes caught up to the players. 

Shane Walsh, either side of a Finnerty score was the Tribesmen scoring. Justin Kieran levelled for Armagh early in the half and Rian O’Neill made sure the deficit was at the minimum going into the second half. 

Armagh took control at the start of the second half. A looping high ball could not be dealt with by Gleeson in the Galway net with Grugan taking advantage to parry the ball into the net and give the massive Armagh crowd hope of a semi-final. 

Galway replied within seconds, Cillian McDaid broke through on the back of intricate Galway passing to smash low and hard past Rafferty to give the Tribesmen the advantage once more. 

Sub Eoin Woods pounced on a bouncing ball falling backward to somehow point and level the game for Armagh, just when we thought we had seen everything. 

Hall thought he had won it for Armagh but McDaid levelled in additional time of extra time to send the game to spot-kicks. 

Shane Walsh stood up first, scoring for Galway in front of the Davin Stand. 

Campbell smashed over to give the Tribesmen the advantage they would not squander. 

Comer, O’Neill, and Finnerty all converted before Turbitt hit the woodwork leaving Tierney the man with the chance to win it. 

Tierney smashed into the bottom left off his left foot sending Rafferty the wrong way, as Galway advance to their first Semi-Final since 2018. 

Final Scoreline Armagh 3-18 2-21 Galway, Galway win 4-1 on penalties. 


1Ethan Rafferty Goalkeeper
2James Morgan Defender 70+1'
3Aidan Forker 17 Defender
4Conor O’Neill Defender 39'
5Aaron McKay 20 Defender
6Greg McCabe Defender 63'
7Jarlath Óg Burns 21 Defender 19'
8Stephen Sheridan 23 Midfielder
9Ben Crealey Midfielder
10Rory Grugan 12 Forward 82'
11', 23', 25'
11Stefan Campbell Forward 8', 44', 47'
24Andrew Murnin 22 Forward
13Aidan Nugent Forward 70+2'
13', 42'
14Rian O’Neill Forward 6', 56', 70+9', 80'
15Jason Duffy 25 Forward
16Blaine Hughes Goalkeeper
17Mark Shields 3 Defender
18Niall Rowland Defender
19Ciaran Higgins Defender
20Ciaran Mackin 5 Midfielder
21Eoin Woods 7 84'
22Conor Turbitt 24 Forward 70+6'
23Connaire Mackin 8 Defender
12Jemar Hall 10 Forward 89'
25Justin Kieran 15 Forward 76'
26Niall McConville


1Connor Gleeson Goalkeeper
2Liam Silke Defender
3Sean Kelly Defender 70+11'
4Jack Glynn Defender
5Dylan McHugh Defender
6John Daly Defender
7Kieran Molloy Defender 70'
8Paul Conroy Midfielder 68'
9Cillian McDaid Midfielder 83'
19', 90'
10Patrick Kelly 23 Forward 46'
11Matthew Tierney Forward 16', 33'
12Johnny Heaney Forward 40'
13Robert Finnerty 20 Forward 18', 38', 45', 77'
14Damien Comer Forward 5', 65', 70+4'
15Shane Walsh 22 Forward 28', 32', 41', 64', 71', 80'
16James Keane Goalkeeper
17James Foley
18Billy Mannion Defender
19Cathal Sweeney Forward
20Niall Daly 13
21Paul Kelly Midfielder
22Owen Gallagher 15 Forward
23Finnian Ó Laoí 10 Forward 50'
24Eoin Finnerty
25Dessie Conneely Forward
26Tomo Culhane
  • 99'


  • 98'

    Turbitt hits the post.

  • 98'

    Finnerty third for Galway....scores, just about.

  • 97'

    Rian O'Neill scores for Armagh.

  • 97'

    Comer slots bottom right.

  • 96'

    Comer up for Galway next...

  • 96'

    Campbell misses for Armagh!

  • 96'

    Shane Walsh scores!

  • 96'

    Shane Walsh up first for Galway....

  • 95'

    Rafferty and Gleeson look to be the heroes in net for their teams.

  • 95'

    About to get underway in front of the Davin stand.

  • 93'

    Penalties await. WOW.

  • 91'


  • 89'


  • 85'

    Woods equalises through an acrobatic effort. Incredible stuff.

  • 84'


  • 81'


  • 81'

    The second half of ET is underway.

  • 81'

    Rian O'Neill brings it back to one at halftime in extra time.

  • 80'

    Shane Walsh kicks a free at the start of 1 additional minute. Galway with some breathing room.

  • 77'

    Finnerty points for the Tribesmen, who lead once more. Back and forth this, a great game of football.

  • 74'

    Justin Kieran levels the scoring.

  • 71'

    Shane Walsh puts Galway in the lead.

  • 71'

    Underway in ET! Anything could happen here, everything has happened so far!

  • 70'

    Kelly and Nugent receive red cards at the end of the brawl. Both teams will go back to 15 for ET, however.

  • 70'

    10 minutes a half to come here.

  • 79'

    Extra time to come. Absolute chaos erupts at the final whistle. Players sprawled all over the field.

  • 79'

    Rian O'Neill steps up 55 metres out to LEVEL THE GAME

  • 79'

    Armagh have a free in on the 79th minute. Chance to level it.

  • 75'


  • 74'

    Comer brings it back to a two-score game.

  • 71'

    GOAL ARMAGH! Nugent capitalises to make it a 3-point game into 8 additional minutes.

  • 66'

    Comer and Walsh put Galway four up.

  • 63'

    RED CARD! McCabe sees red for a shoulder check that was a little high and made head contact.

  • 59'

    Turbitt brings Armagh within 2.

  • 56'

    Rian O'Neill free brings it back to 3 points.

  • 51'

    Game has opened up now. Galway lead by 4. Ó Laoí adds the latest moments after coming on as a blood sub.

  • 40'

    GOAL FOR GALWAY! Tierney's effort is tipped onto the bar but Heaney fists in off the resulting possession. Shane Walsh adds another point quickly after. Galway on top.

  • 36'

    No changes to report at the break.

  • 36'

    Second half about to get started. Croker bathed in sunshine. Nothing to split these two teams, could go right to the end and extra time/penalties if needed.

  • 35'

    Half time, the sides are level.

  • 35'

    1 additional minute at the end of the half.

  • 34'

    Tierney levels the game just before the break!

  • 33'

    Shane Walsh points from a free, again. This time off his left foot with the first off his right. Great talent.

  • 29'

    First major goal chance as Comer fists just wide beating Rafferty in the air. Close call.

  • 29'

    Shane Walsh points from a free.

  • 23'

    Grugan adds the first dead ball score of the game.. Armagh by 2 now.

  • 21'

    Galway now within a point as the game opens up here. McDaid with the latest score.

  • 17'

    Tierney adds a needed score for Galway.

  • 14'

    Nugent adds another for the Orchard.

  • 11'

    Armagh in control now. Grugan puts them 3-1 up.

  • 9'

    Campbell gets a soup-er score for Armagh. Sorry.

  • 7'

    Rian O'Neill gets the Orchard level.

  • 5'

    Comer opens the scoring!

  • 4'

    Nugent kicks wide for Armagh, the first attempt at goal.

  • 3'

    Galway hold the early possession to a chorus of boos from the Orchard faithful.

  • 1'

    Game underway in Croker.

  • There is a huge crowd in HQ today, Armagh have travelled in numbers, fantastic to see. Action about to get underway after the anthem.

  • No Galway changes from their original starting 15.

  • Armagh have made one change before kickoff to their original XV, Andrew Murnin replacing Jemar Hall.

  • It is rare that the provincial champions are not favoured, but it is the case today as Armagh who came through Donegal and Tyrone in the Qualifiers are tipped to beat the Connacht Champs Galway, who are without competitive action in five weeks since beating Roscommon.

  • Good afternoon, Armagh and Galway are set for battle in the third AISFC Quarter Final this weekend in just over 15 minutes, in what should be a cracker of a match.


Croke Park
Croke Park, Jones's Road, Dublin, D01 WY49, Ireland

26-year-old TV, Radio, and New Media graduate from MTU Kerry based in the Kingdom with a passion for a variety of sports.