Cavan v Westmeath

Kerry v Mayo

Armagh v Galway

Cork v Dublin

Preview: Dublin v Cork

The latest showdown between David and Goliath takes place at Croke Park today as Dublin take on Cork in the second quarter final of the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship. 

While both teams will be in Division Two next season there is no doubting who the favourites are heading into the game. Dublin cantered to a 12th consecutive Leinster title while Cork looked unconvincing in their two victories over Louth and Limerick after falling to Kerry first day out. 

Heavy criticism has been directed at Cork. However, with twelve players out injured plus manager Keith Ricken having to step away and all of a sudden, reaching the last 8 could be looked on as a credible achievement considering the context. 

Recent History 

Cork have only won two of sixteen meetings between the sides in the championship. Those being two memorable semi-finals in 1989 and 2010. Dublin won the last game between the sides in 2019 when they were 5-18 to 1-17 victors in the super 8s. 

Thoughts From The Dugout 

Dublin’s Niall Scully believes that they are coming into form at the right time, especially after a disappointing league campaign which led to relegation from the top tier. 

"We always have and had the quality in the team. That's just about trying to bring that up to the top of the surface and to get us all back on the same wave level. 

“ I think it's looking back at the performances as well and trying to understand, trying to understand what had went wrong on the pitch and obviously what the internal motivation is for the individual as well." 

Cork boss John Cleary spoke in the aftermath of the Limerick game about how his side will need to improve ahead of a huge test against Dublin.  

“We’re under no illusions because we’re in the frying pan now,” he said. We’re up against the big boys the next day no matter who we get and it’s going to be really tough. But, we’re there which is the main thing and we’ll test ourselves.” 

Team News 

Dublin traditionally name their team late. The main talking point will be if hurling captain Eoghan O’Donnell features. If reports are to be believed the Whitehall Colmcille clubman has impressed during training and could line out at either end of the field. 

Cleary has gone with the same team that defeated Limerick last time out. The real changes come on the bench with co-captain and All-Star nominee Sean Meehan returning to the fold after injury. 

Thrown in at Croke Park is at 6pm with live text commentary available on

Derry v Clare

Preview: Derry v Clare

The first All Ireland SFC Quarter-Final in a bumper weekend of Football sees Ulster Champions Derry face Clare in Croke Park this afternoon with throw-in penned for 3:45pm. 

It has been five weeks since Derry ended their twenty-four-year Anglo-Celt Cup drought against Donegal in extra-time, which is just about enough time for the Oak Leaf Faithful to recover from the drama of their Ulster campaign. 

Derry produced multiple contenders for the performance of the season in their provincial campaign, beating Tyrone, Monaghan, and Cavan en route to their quarter-final birth this afternoon. However the lack of competitive action in recent weeks could pay into their opponents' hands, one of the many challenges winning at provincial level and awaiting the qualifiers to play out throws up. 

It is no secret that these inter-county teams are great at organising behind closed doors friendlies to keep match sharpness as high as possible but it is very difficult to emulate the adrenaline rush of running out to grace the grass on Jones’ Road on the biggest stage of Gaelic Football. 

Clare meanwhile have been in action twice since Derry last played. The Banner men were shocked in the Munster Quarters against Limerick, losing in Cusack Park on penalties, but since this disaster have bounced back stronger than most expected. 

Meath awaited in the first round of the Qualifiers at home, with the Banner coming out of a tough fixture with a two-point victory. 

The early provincial exit meant that the Banner knew that a provincial final loser would be in their way of reaching a second-ever All Ireland Quarter Final, with the Connacht Final losers the Rossies their challenge in Croke Park. 

An astonishing rise from the dead comeback from the Banner, who overcame a five-point deficit with a minute to go in regulation, sets up today's fixture to be an absolute cracker. 

Clare will be buoyant coming back to the same stage they shone on just two weeks ago with the on-form Keelan Sexton and Jamie Malone ready to cause another upset, but Ulster Final big scorers Shane McGuigan and Niall Loughlin know this year there is a chance for the Oak-Leaf men to repeat their All Ireland Success of 1993. 

Offaly v Westmeath

Tailteann Cup: Westmeath on top in Midland battle

Westmeath booked their place in the first ever Tailteann Cup Final after a high scoring 3-22 to 2-16 win over Offaly in Croke Park today.

The Lake County men led throughout this game, as Jack Cooney’s side now face Cavan in the penultimate game of the new tournament.

From the very start of the match, Westmeath showed their class in abundance with their fast, free flowing attacks causing Offaly trouble. Points from John Heslin, Sam McCartan and Lorcan Dolan opened up an early four point lead for Westmeath before Ronan Wallace buried the ball home into the back of the net on the quarter of an hour mark.

Ronan O’Toole and Luke Loughlin’s pace was a huge advantage for their sides but Offaly did find their first score of the game after 16 minutes through Keith O’Neill who finished well to put the ball in the back of the net to reduce the deficit. Heslin and McNamee traded frees before Westmeath scored their second goal of the half, courtesy of a Lorcan Dolan strike from close range.

The battle between Offaly’s Jack Bryant and Westmeath’s Jack Smith was a thrilling one with both players leaving everything on the pitch.

Dylan Hyland and Anton Sullivan were major plusses for Offaly and their energy down the flanks did help their side create chances.

Niall McNamee, Jack Bryant and Anton Sullivan continued to keep Offaly’s tally ticking over but Ronan O’Toole, John Heslin, Luke Loughlin and James Dolan continued to show their sharp shooting and sent their side into the break, leading 2-11 to 1-6.

Westmeath came out emphatically for the second period and Ronan O’Toole found his side’s first score of the half after just over 15 seconds. Ray Connellan added another point, but Offaly did find some scores of their own through Keith O’Neill, Dylan Hyland and Niall McNamee.

The sides continued to fight for every ball and Offaly threw everything at Westmeath to try and get themselves back into the lead, but Lorcan Dolan’s second goal of the game put his side ten points up midway through the second half.

Cathal Flynn did score a second goal for Offaly and what a finish it was, as the substitute hit a rocket into the top corner. Westmeath showed resilience and great determination after this and it was substitutes of their own that continued to add scores until the final whistle with Robbie Forde and Alex Gardiner both showing their capabilities with scores from distance.

After a fantastic attacking performance from Westmeath, there’s no doubt that confidence will be sky high ahead of the clash against Cavan.

Cavan v Sligo

Tailteann Cup- Cavan secure final berth

Clinical Cavan progress to the inaugural Tailteann Cup Final in a few weeks' time after an entertaining three-point victory over Sligo in Croke Park this afternoon.

This contest was an excellent display of Gaelic Football which showcased the competitiveness and success of the Tailteann Cup in its first appearance on the GAA calendar.

Sligo will rue a heap of missed scoring opportunities right from the off as their opponents proved to be very calm in front of goal from all areas of the field, especially in the opening stages.

Incredibly, the 15 scores in the opening half of the match were scored by 15 different players.

It was Cavan that got the scoring underway in the opening minutes of the game. Martin Reilly popped over a point from close range which was shortly followed by James Smith emulating his forward’s action a couple of seconds later. 

Both teams had early possession but Sligo would not capitalise on early chances, tallying a couple of wides. Cavan continued to be better in front of the goal with Thomas Galligan added to the points scoring for the Breffini county on 5 minutes to pull his team's lead out to three points. 

Oisin Kiernan added a fourth white flag score for Cavan at the 10 minutes mark of the first half. At this point, Sligo were 0 from 6 from scoring attempts, which is surprising from a team that were so clinical in front of goal in their previous matches in the tournament so far. 

Two more Cavan scores in a couple of minutes from Conor Brady and Paddy Lynch widened the lead for the Breffini men. Their opening six points coming from six different players. 

It took 16 minutes of play for Sligo to get on the board. Pat Spillane coming forward from midfield kicked over the bar into the Hill end to stem the scoring and give Sligo a well-needed boost. 

The momentum shift came on 20 minutes. Luke Towey opened up the Cavan defence and was taken down through on goal, the referee left with no choice but to award a spot-kick. Patrick O’Connor stepped up and coolly slotted into the bottom left corner sending the keeper the wrong way. Sligo were back in this after a slow start. 

The penalty opened up the game as Killian Brady and Pat Hughes exchanged points with a lot more opportunities being created by both sides' forwards. 

Darragh Cummins pointed for Sligo off of a quick free-kick routine which caught the Cavan defence napping to bring the Yeats men within a point. Cavan will be very disappointed that their early control of this match slipped away from them as the half progressed. 

Cavan regained control of the match before the break. Smith, McKiernan, Galligan and first-half sub Cian Madden all raised white flags within 4 minutes of the break for the Breffni men. 

Both teams had goal chances late in the half which could’ve turned it on it’s head but some superb goalkeeping from both keepers and Oisin Kiernan in the Cavan defence prevented the scoring. 

The halftime score in HQ saw Cavan lead by 5 points. Cavan 0-11 Sligo 1-3. 

Halftime substitute Niall Muphy opened the scoring after the interval for Sligo. The former Aussie Rules Ireland international became the 16th different scorer in the game.

Murphy was the first to add a second score to a solo tally in the game raising another white flag on 40 minutes. A much-needed fast start to the half for the Yeats men. 

Sligo goalkeeper Devaney was forced into two saves from Gearoid McKiernan early in the half. Devaney prevented two right-footed attempts which would've put Cavan out of sight. 

The opening stages of the second half were free-flowing. Both teams went back and forth on a number of scores. No team ever going more than two points without their opponents' reply. 

Coming into the final quarter of the match Sligo had drawn the deficit back to just two points with Patrick O’Connor and Niall Murphy keeping the Yeats men in touch. 

Arguably the best players for either team on the day, Gearoid McKiernan with his third and Niall Murphy with his fourth continued the scoring exchange with just under 10 minutes left to play in the game. 

McKiernan added his fourth score of the game within 5 minutes to go to keep Sligo at bay. 

Thomas Galligan had an opportunity to put the game to bed with a goal chance but once again, it is not taken as he rattled the side netting. 

Gerard Smith came into the game late on and his score into the first of six additional minutes almost certainly put Cavan through. 

Alan Reilly and Sean Carrabine capitalised off of the Cavan kick-out to score late on but it was Gerard Smith once more, in the 76th minute who would finish the scoring on the day.

Cavan win out by three points with 17 of their scores coming from play.

Sligo gave it their all but the Ulster side proved a step too far but they will come away happy with their efforts in the tournament this year. 


Kildare v Mayo

SFC: Mayo through to last eight

Late second half goals by Oisín Mullin and Jordan Flynn were the deciding factor in Mayo reaching the Quarter Finals of the All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

They left it late yet again, a poor performance by their standards as they left numerous wides and chances go astray, the scoreboard said enough 2-13 to 0-14 in their favour

Kildare will feel heartbroken after a gutsy strong performance, once again it was their defence carved open and the net rippling that sees them suffer defeat at Croke Park.

In a slow burning start to the tie both were guilty of some poor shooting at goal, Jack Carney meanwhile found the target after four minutes to kick Mayo into an early lead, the Lilywhites however came alive after this score, kicking four points in a row with Hyland notching two frees, as they were comfortably ahead 0-4 to 0-1 after 14 minutes.

Cillian O’Connor ended a 17 minute drought for his team after kicking his first of the day, Kildare building on their lead with two Kevin O’Callaghan points, Mayo remaining four behind.

Eoghan McLaughlin could have had a remarkable minute of play, the half back gliding his way to score a point, before doing similar seconds later but Kildare stopper Aaron O’Neill pushed his bullet of a shot over the bar, Hyland was accurate before the interval kicking his fourth free, as they were ahead 0-8 to 0-5 at half time.

Three quick scores settled the Leinster team into the second half, as Mayo looked a little lost in the vast empty space of the Croke Park turf, but points by Fergal Boland, Conor Loftus and O’Connor put them back within three.

Lee Keegan and Diarmuid O'Connor, the two veterans in the Mayo panel, chipped away at the scoreline, making it a two point game before Jimmy Hyland pointed from another free after 53 minutes, for a 0-13 to 0-10 lead.

Mullin awoke the entirety of his county, after he ran through the Kildare defence and hit the back of the net just after the hour mark, only the second time the teams had been level in the contest.

When the clock strikes late in fixtures, the men front he west hit another gear, Boland and O’Connor waving the flag before the end of normal time, despite Shea Ryan running up from full back to draw Kildare level minutes earlier.

Darren McHale’s point just before the clock hit the red looked to have given Mayo the win, but an audacious shot at goal by Jordan Flynn, looped over O’Neill in the Kildare net as he was back peddling to his line, resulting in Mayo leaving headquarters with a five point win.


Clare v Roscommon

SFC: Malone bags late winner for Clare to advance to second ever All-Ireland quarter-final

An incredible late comeback from Clare helped them reach their first AISFC Quarter-Final since 2016.

Jamie Malone scored from range in the fourth minute of added time to beat Roscommon by a single point this afternoon in Croke Park in what must be said was a thoroughly entertaining match throughout.

This game was one of incredible scoring from both teams, especially from range, as by half-time the two sides had outscored their totals in their League meeting earlier this year.

Cathal O’Connor settled his Clare side into the game early on, coming forward from midfield and pointing off his right foot to raise the first white flag of the afternoon. 

Roscommon made a late change pre-game as Diarmuid Murtagh replaced Heneghan and it was Murtagh who made an instant impact by getting the first goal of the game.

Murtagh raised the green flag after just 6 minutes. Conor Cox’s attempted point dropped just short of the goal but Murtagh rose above O’Callaghan rushing out from the Clare net to fist the ball in and put the Rossies in the lead early on. 

The early goal really opened up the game from the off as Clare pointed twice in a couple of minutes to bring the game back to level scores after 10 minutes. 

Conor Cox and Diarmuid Murtagh both scored from frees shortly after to put the Rossies back in the lead. 

The game would change after this, the Banner gained all the momentum as Emmet McMahon rose the white flag just before Keelan Sexton, who wasn’t originally listed to start the game, powered through the Roscommon defence and past Lavin in the Rossies net to raise the Green flag for his side for the first time in the game. His attempted shot may have taken a deflection off of Roscommon goal scorer Diarmuid Murtagh but the ball dribbled over the line and Sexton celebrated as if it was his goal. Clare took the lead in the game once more. 

An excellent first half of Football was summed up with some stunning back and forth football after the goal. Ciaran Murtagh twice and Cian McKeon scored three points in three minutes but Clare stayed in touch with three in three of their own through McMahon, Cleary, and Collins. 

Cathal O’Connor stepped forward from midfield for his second point of the game to give his Clare side a three-point lead. A score that just added to the awesome exhibition of points scoring from range that we were witnessing. 

A Keelan Sexton brace of points gave Clare a healthy lead just before the break. The Banner would be annoyed at the half as they gave up a free to Diarmuid Murtagh, with the goal kick in added time ending up back in the Rossies' hands who capitalized on the mistake with Niall Kilroy bringing the deficit back to just two points at the break. The half-time scoreline, Clare 1-10 Roscommon 1-8

Keelan Sexton opened the scoring at the start of the second half almost instantly, his long-range attempt from the floor sailed over the bar, another excellently taken point. 

Despite the early score, it would be Roscommon who took command in the opening phases of the second half. 

Six unanswered points from Roscommon seemed to have the Rossies in command of the match as manager Anthony Cunningham would be delighted with the strong impact his players had off the bench. 

Keelan Sexton once again from a free stemmed the Roscommon tide on 60 minutes to keep Clare in the game, their first score in 25 minutes.

Donie Smith and Ciaran Murtagh followed up with scores that with five to go in the game would have many thinking the game was put to bed. 

The Clare comeback began on 69 minutes, Eoin Cleary from a free reduced the deficit to four. 

The major turning point would come on 70 minutes. Cooney was hauled down to the box, the Referee immediately blew the whistle and with his arms outstretched gave Clare a spot-kick to bring them back into the game late on. 

Keelan Sexton banished their Munster penalty shootout horrors, smashing the ball right down the middle of the goal, a one-point game going into five minutes of added time. 

Sexton would level the game a minute later from a placed ball just outside the 45-meter line. A huge pressure kick for the Kilmurry Ibrickane but he showed his quality by placing it over the bar comfortably. 

The winning score came on 74 minutes. Remarkably, this would be the only score from play for the Banner County in the half. Jamie Malone stepped forward and took on the shot off his right foot which sailed over the bar to the massive roar of the traveling Clare faithful who knew this would be enough. 

Roscommon had a late last-ditch attempt drop wide and the full-time whistle went as Clare progress to the Quarter Final. 

The Banner will sit back and enjoy the rest of the qualifiers when their heart rates come down as they await to see early next week which Provincial Champions they will be drawn against.


Dublin v Kildare

Leinster SFC – 61st title for Dublin

Dublin have won the 2022 Leinster Football Final beating Kildare on a score-line of 5-17 to 1-15 in Croke Park on Saturday evening.

The Dubs' first-half display ensured their title with five early goals all but ensuring that the game was over before halftime. 

It was Kildare who would open the scoring with a well-taken point from Paul Cribbin but Dublin quickly responded with a free from Dean Rock. 

This was as competitive as the game got however as Dublin found the back of the net twice in two minutes through Con O’Callaghan and Cormac Costello. The first came as a result of fantastic build-up play by a Dublin team who came out looking to put their opponents away within the first ten minutes. Costello found the net off of an attempted Rock point which hit the post and fell into the hands of the Whitehall man who finished superbly.

Ben McCormack got a much-needed point for the Lilywhites but their response did not last long as Dean Rock pointed a free within a minute. 

More brilliant buildup play from Dublin saw Cormac Costello end up through on goal after a fantastic dummy and subsequently found the back of the net for the Dubs' third goal of the game after just fifteen minutes. 

McCormack added another point for Kildare but within minutes John Small drove another shot past Donnellan in the Kildare net, the fourth green flag of the game for Dublin. 

Gannon from play and Rock from a free extended the advantage of the long-time reigning Leinster champions, who then showed once more that they are still a formidable outfit with Costello playing in O’Callaghan with a great offload pass who finished well to score Dublin's fifth goal in 27 minutes. Dublin at this point had more goals than Kildare had points. 

The teams traded two points each before halftime, which saw Dublin go in well and truly in control of the game on a 5-7 to 0-6 score-line. 

Kildare started the second half much better with two quickfire scores, Hyland from play and McCormack from a free. 

Jimmy Hyland finished off some good build-up play by the Lilywhites, palming the ball into the back of the net to raise the green flag. The momentum was quickly squashed by a dominant Dublin team who continued to point from play. Con O’Callaghan was the star of the half with five points from play in the last half an hour. 

Ben McCormack got five points and Jimmy Hyland with 1-04, very respectable performances from the Kildare men who pushed all the way to the final whistle. 

It is Dublin however who lift the Delaney Cup for the 12th consecutive time and move on to an All-Ireland Quarter Final in four weeks' time. Meanwhile, Kildare will have to dust themselves off quickly as they are in Qualifier action in just a fortnight.