Roundup: Lidl NFL Division 1 Round 7

Cork will play Division 2 football for the first time since 2003 after they relegated. The Rebel County were beaten by Meath, who picked up their first win after three defeats on in a row.

Kerry finished in second place and will get a chance to defend their Division 1 title in a few weeks. The Kingdom defeated Galway who are battling to survive.

Armagh 1-04 Dublin 7-10

Armagh suffered their first defeat of their league campaign when they were comprehensively beaten by Dublin in Armagh. It was a much changed Armagh side; manager Gregory McGonigle rested 10 regulars.

Dublin scored four of their goals in the opening half. Hannah Tyrrell grabbed a brace, while Orlagh Nolan and Carla Rowe also raised the green flag as the Dubs held a 4-07 to 0-03 lead at the break.

Armagh made six substitutions at half-time. Kelly Mallon scored their only goal shortly after the restart. Niamh Crowley, Chloe Darby and Annabelle Timothy scored second half goals for Mick Bohan’s side. 

Mayo 2-09 Waterford 2-06

Mayo ended their league campaign with a win while Waterford are still in relegation trouble following this defeat.

Waterford opened the scoring with a goal from Lauren McGregor. Shortly after Mayo’s Fiona McLoughlin got her and her side’s first goal. Both McGregor and McLoughlin were to find the back of net again as Mayo were ahead 2-05 to 2-02 at the interval.

Mayo extended their lead to five points during the second half. Waterford then cut the gap to two before a point from Maria Cannon gave Liam McHale’s side a three point win.

Meath 2-14 Cork 1-07

Cork were relegated to Division 2 following a 10 point loss to Meath at Páirc Tailteann. After losing three games in a row Meath ended their league campaign with a much needed win.

Despite a good start Meath were behind at the break. A goal from Sadhbh O’Leary gave Cork the lead for the first time in the 25th minute. The Royal County kicked eight wides in the first half.

Cork had a chance to extend their lead in the early stages of the second half but Daire Kiely’s penalty was saved. Meath went down the field and scored 1-01 – goal from Shelly Melia. Meath grabbed a second goal in the 57th minute through Marion Farrelly.

Kerry 2-11 Galway 0-12

Defending champions Kerry qualified for the Division 1 Final with a five point win over a struggling Galway side. Galway now face into a massive game against Waterford to see who survives and who is relegated.

Danielle O’Leary scored a goal for Kerry after eight minutes. They were ahead by five after 13 minutes but Galway ended the half well and went in at the break trailing by one point.

At the start of the second half Oliva Divilly scored a point to level matters. Galway took the lead in the 36th minute. A goal from substitute Hannah O’Donoghue gave Kerry a three point lead in the 49th minute and they were able to kick on from there.

Deniese is a freelance sports journalist/broadcaster. She has worked for several local and national media outlets. GAA and soccer are her great loves and she also follows rugby league and snooker. She's a big supporter of her local clubs St. Mary's GAA Granard and Longford Town. She also follows Celtic, Liverpool and Leeds Rhinos. She presented and produced a popular sports podcast last year where she interviewed Ray Houghton, Chris Kamara and John Hartson. Deniese is currently Head of Communications for Boccia Ireland

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *