Derry v Donegal

Cavan v Donegal

Donegal overcome Cavan challenge

Conor O’Donnell and Paddy McBrearty both found the net late in the second half, to see Donegal advance to the 2022 Ulster Senior Football Final.

The final beckons for Donegal but they had to work for the result, a 2-16 to 0-16 win over a game Cavan opposition will feel hard done by but for Donegal it is a tenth final in 12 years.

Michael Murphy, McBrearty and Jamie Brennan all influential for the men in green and gold, a great result for them building confidence ahead of the final in a few weeks time.

It was Cavan who signalled their intentions after a couple of seconds, Paddy Lynch finding his range to raise the white flag, two frees for Donegal either side of a Gerard Smith score had the game tied at 0-2 after 7 minutes.

Lynch added two quick fire frees to double the Cavan lead, Ciaran Thompson pulled one back for Donegal, but a goal chance was on the cards if he squared it and they could have gone ahead, but James Smith replied to make it a two point game again.

Murphy and Brennan kicked Donegal within a point by the 19th minute, but two well taken scores by Thomans Galligan made it a three point game after 21 minutes. Donegal again hit back through Murphy and Brennan, as very little could separate the two with the scoreline 0-8 to 0-7 after 24 minutes.

Lynch made it a two point game after 24 minutes, but McBrearty and Brenna clawed their team back into the tie at the interval, tied 0-9 to 0-9, a tight half dominated by Lynch on one side and the Donegal forward line at the other, Cavan could have had a goal however after 31 minutes a high ball into Smith his shot cannoned off the bar a great save by Shaun Patton.

Despite Smith getting on the board shortly after the restart, it was all Donegal in the early exchanges Peadar Mogan with the first of four scores to see them 0-13 to 0-10 ahead after 44 minutes. Smith and Gearoid McKiernan hit back for Cavan to put them back within a point after 48 minutes.

McKieran raised the white flag twice in quick succession to draw Cavan level again after 57 minutes, the fifth time the sides were level in the contest, when it looked like nothing could separate them McBrearty pointed, before substitute Conor O’Donnell found the back of the net just after the hour mark, the ball landing perfectly on his boot after a failed Cavan clearance from a high ball. 

From here Donegal had breathing room with McBrearty on hand to score another free after 65 minutes, the game looked beyond doubt as Raymond Galligan stepped up to kick a long range free. McBrearty finished his day with a tally of 1-4 gathering a high ball before turning and hitting the net on 68 minutes.


Monaghan v Down

Ulster SFC: Monaghan withstand goal surge to ease past Down

Monaghan withstood a Down scoring blitz to ease through to the Ulster SFC semi-finals with a 0-23 to 2-7 victory in Clones 

While the underdogs needed a good start, it was Monaghan who got it through a Rory Beggan free in the opening seconds.  

Jack McCarron and Kieran Hughes tagged on another two to establish a three point lead in the opening 15 minutes. Pat Havern opened Down’s account in the 16th minute. 

McCarron and Andrew Woods added two more after Conor McManus and Gary Mohan opened their accounts. Andrew Gilmore’s free made it 0-9 to 0-2 before having to go off through injury. 

Monaghan stayed in control of the game with McCarron to the fore once more and got four points in total in the first half to open up a 0-12 to 0-4 before everything changed on the stroke of half-time.  

Conor Poland grabbed a much-needed score before Caolan Mooney shimmied past the Monaghan defence before drilling a low shot into the corner, rattling Rory Beggan’s net. 0-12 to 1-4 at the break. 

Down started how they finished the first half when Pat Havern got a goal straight from the throw in to put two between the sides. 

Monaghan regained control of the match through points from Gary Mohan, McManus and McCarron to give them a 0-16 to 2-4. 

Both sides traded points to leave it at 0-18 to 2-5 heading into the final quarter which Monaghan duly controlled. Conor McManus added three points in quick succession to increase the gap to ten with ten remaining. 

Barry O’Hagan and McCarron traded frees to leave 0-22 to 2-6 heading into the final minutes.  

Tiernan Rush added a free for Down but was sent off moments later for a second yellow after a high tackle on Karl O’Connell.  

Overall a comfortable victory for Monaghan on a wet day in Clones. Banty McEneaney’s side will face either Tyrone or Derry in the last four. 


Monaghan v Dublin

Roundup: D1 Allianz Football League

Kerry and Mayo will contest the final of Division 1 of the Allianz Football League, after Mayo were victorious over Kildare this afternoon, while at the bottom of the table Dublin are relegated after their shock start to the season, while Kildare also go down after a valiant showing this year.

Monaghan 3-13 Dublin 1-18, Clones

A late Jack McCarron free sees Monaghan remain in Division 1 next year, while Dublin are relegated following the one point defeat, a Dean Rock injury time penalty looked to have saved the Dubs but McCarron was accurate as ever to see them home, as both teams finished with 14 men

Dublin started the better in the opening half, pulling out a 0-4 to 0-1 lead, before Monaghan came back Sean Jones hitting the net after nine minutes, to lead 1-3 to 0-4 but the momentum would shift throughout the half, but Monaghan held firm to lead 1-7 to 0-8 at the interval.

Monaghan remained ahead after the restart pulling out a 2-9 to 0-8 lead as McCarron buried a penalty in the 41st minute, Dublin started to come back into the tie and shortly after Ryan Wylie was sent off, before James McCarthy was sent off, amidst the drama McCarron had made it 3-10 to 0-14, a dramatic end but Monaghan will be happy with the result in the end.

Donegal 1-14 Armagh 1-13, Letterkenny

A late score by Paddy McBrearty gave Donegal a final day win in Letterkenny, a blow for Armagh as it sees them miss out on a league final after a great season, Donegal had laid the marker down in the opening half but Armagh never looked like giving up the tie, with the final their most important goal.

Donegal got out of the trap early in O’Donnell Park, they were controlling a free flowing contest before Jason mcgee hit the net after 10 minutes, to push them 1-04 to 0-02 ahead, it remained in the hosts favour for the majority of the half, but Aidan Nugent reduced their lead to 1-08 to 1-05, as he goaled after 32 minutes, but Michael Murphy and McBrearty scored late in the half for a 1-10 to 1-05 lead at the break.

After the restart Donegal remained ahead, Murphy missed a penalty for them midway through the half, with Armagh slowly reducing the gap trailing 1-12 to 1-11 after 19 minutes in the half, Rian O’Neill levelled just before injury time but the final act fell to the hosts with McBrearty remaining a key man in the Donegal setup.

Tyrone 1-15 Kerry 2-11, Fitzgerald Stadium

Tyrone survived a last day relegation battle with a one point win over Kerry in Killarney, a performance good enough to see them remain in the Division, as they battled hard to get the points over Kerry in the end. 

Knowing the stakes going into the tie it was Tyrone that edged the opening half of football in Killarney, it was a slow start to the game but a Tony Brosnan goal after 15 minutes looked to have kicked the game into life. Tyrone came back to level matters after 20 minutes, before leading 0-7 to 1-2 minutes later, David Clifford kept Kerry in the game before Tony Brosnan made it 1-5 to 0-9 at half time.

It was hard to separate the teams into the second half, Brian Ó Beaglaíoch kicking an equaliser in the 41st minute, Tyrone went ahead again before Brosnan hit the net again this time from a penalty, 2-7 to 0-11 in favour of Kerry but Tyrone remained in the tie and hot a goal minutes later to regain their lead. 

Paul Geaney kicked Kerry level before Clifford put thema point ahead, back came the visitors before Gavin White added a point as he returned from injury, three unanswered points had the Ulstermen two ahead of  injury time, before Geaney halved the deficit in the 69th minute, neither team could find the mark in added time as Tyrone survive.

Mayo 2-20 Kildare 0-18, Avant Money Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada

Mayo await Kerry in the League Final after finishing well to dispatch a game Kildare, they looked strong throughout and are rewarded with a chance at silverware if they can defeat an old foe.

After a frantic opening half it was Mayo who had a final spot while Kildare looked to be relegated, it was a terrific game for neutrals alike as Mayo were ahead 1-10 to 0-12 at the break, Ryan O’Donoghue finding the net after 12 minutes, a lead they held until the 26th minute when Ben McCormack pointed for a 0-10 to 1-6 lead, it was a nervy few minutes to end the half but Mayo were ahead at the break.

Mayo kept their lead intact after the restart building on their scores, before Jordan Flynn found the net after 14 minutes, to put breathing room between the teams 2-14 to 0-16. The hosts continued to control, the tie, their forwards including O’Donoghue, Jason Doherty and Jack Carney in sensational form as they helped kick them into the decider with the Kingdom,


Monaghan v Kerry


Monaghan v Mayo

Roundup: D1 Allianz Football League

Armagh remain top of Division 1 in the Allianz Football League, following victory over Tyrone, Jack O’Connor picked up his first league win in his third stint as Kerry manager, vanquishing their old foes in a wet night in Tralee, Donegal and Mayo also build on their performances last weekend to secure their first wins of the season.

Kerry 1-15 Dublin 0-11 Austin Stack Park

Kerry extended their unbeaten record in the league to 10, after a seven-point win over the Dubs in Tralee. David Clifford was the star man again for the Kingdom, despite missing a penalty the Fossa man scored four points, catching the eye with some super scores.

The Kingdom pulled out a ten point lead by the interval, Dublin failing to contest against the Kerry forward line, Dara Moynihan getting a goal for the home side, the only one of the contest after Dean Rock had one ruled out for a tackle in the build up.

Dessie Carrel’s men emerged for the second half rejuvenated, the Kingdom managing just a single score in the half as Paul Geaney hit the mark in the 46th minute, six points in a row cutting the gap down on a poor night weather wise in Tralee.

Armagh 2-14 Tyrone 0-14, Athletic Grounds

Armagh remain top of the division picking up back to back wins, with a six point margin of comfort against Ulster rivals Tyrone. A game which saw five red cards in the end, finishing with 14 against 11, all reds coming in the final minute of play.

The hosts started strong like the previous weekend, pulling out a 2-8 to 0-4 lead at half time. Greg McCabe and Jason Duffy both found the back of the net, Rian O’Neill kicking three points.

The All Ireland champions produced a better display after the interval, Cathal McShane pulled them within six at the death, the corner forward managing seven points all afternoon, with all coming in the second half.

Monaghan 1-11 Mayo 2-10, St Tiernach's Park

Mayo left it late to secure victory over a game Monaghan this afternoon, Ryan O’Donoghue kicking a late point to give them a two point win. James Horan looked to have setup to right the wrongs from the previous weekend, with a well worked team display this afternoon.

The Ulstermen had led by a point at half time, 1-8 to 1-7, O'Donoghue netted early for the Westerners before Jack McCarrom raised the green flag with a well taken effort.

O’Donoghue led the line for Mayo, managing 1-6 for the afternoon, his scores bringing them close before Jason Doherty hammered home a second goal in the 51st minute, Conor McManus made it a one point game in the 69th minute with a free, but they failed to capitalise late on. 

Donegal 2-11 Kildare 1-9, Páirc Seán MacCumhaill

Donegal picked up their first win of the campaign with a 2-11 to 1-9 scoreline over Kildare in Ballybofey, Kildare unable to build on their performance from the previous weekend to get a win in the division.

Paddy McBrearty and Ryan McHugh both found the back of the net in the opening half, as they pulled out a 2-7 to 1-4 lead by the interval. Jimmy Hyland raising the green flag for the Lillywhites.

Into the second half both sides were low scoring, Conor O’Donnell, Michael Langan and Shane O'Donnell added to the hosts score over a 20 minute period. Kildare pushed on and looked to try to reduce the gap, they trailed by five before Jimmy Hyland pointed in injury time, his effort cancelled out minutes later by Langan.


Monaghan v Armagh