Date Time Competition Season
15 July 2023 2:00 pm All Ireland Senior Championship 2023

Match Report

Tipperary win 6-5 on Free Kicks after a 0-8 to 0-8 draw after extra time.

Tipp beat Waterford on frees to stay Senior

Emma Cronin kicked the winning free for Tipperary to preserve their Senior status, as the game could not be separated after extra-time, in a pulsating contest in Piltown.

After 80 minutes of action and drama, we headed for kicks, where Cronin landed the eighth and final free, as Tippeary prevailed 6-5, a cruel loss for Waterford, they must bounce back now for next weekend, but an injury to Lauren McGregor might be another blow from this tie.

Elements caused havoc at the contest, but these Munster rivals battled hard as nothing could separate them, a low scoring contest, but a hard fought battle where it was a cruel end to see a free taking competition decide the outcome, but for Tipperary they were joyous scenes on the field after, they can now use the offseason to prepare for the year ahead.

Waterford had early chances to take the lead, but testing conditions made life difficult at the Kilkenny venue, Lauren McGregor had two frees to try get the Deise an early advantage, but both failed to go over the Blackspot.

At the other end of the field Tipperary looked to have their first chance at the posts, when Ailsing Moloney steadied herself to take a free into the testing wind, the referee Paul Burke however, deemed the Cahir forward to be taking too much time in her preparation to strike the free and overturned the decision, giving Waterford the chance to clear.

The breeze was making life difficult especially for the Premier County, from another free Moloney opted to go short on the ten minute mark, Niamh Martin aimed for goal but it went well wide.

It was third time lucky for McGregor as on her third attempt at the posts, she converted a free to get the games opening score 11 minutes in, putting Waterford into the lead, Tipp meanwhile were putting dangerous balls into the house, putting pressure on Evelyn O’Brien, but they kept the pressure at bay.

Two quick scores from Kellyann Hogan had Waterford into a 0-3 to no score advantage by the 16th minute, as Tipperary were having limited options in front of the posts, Waterford defending well and their attack able to take scores.

Chances were few and far between for the Premier, while they were guilty of committing fouls as the free count was ticking over against them, McGregor had a few chances from varying angles, a long range strike found it’s way over after 26 minutes, their patient nature was causing issues for their Munster Rivals.

Right at the end of the half, things got worse for Tipperary as Martin was sent to the sin bin, having been penalised for a shoulder charge on Laura Mulcahy, her side down to 14 players at the death of the half, down four points on the board at the break, they had to react early in the second half.

Starting under an intense shower of rain, the start of the second half was slow, possession exchanging hands numerous times before Moloney was composed to put her side on the board with a point on the 38 minute mark, she followed it up with a free five minutes later to halve the deficit.

Laura Dillon made it a one point game with a point from range, but McGregor had a free at the other end to cancel the score out, however the Dungarvan sharpshooter had her shot tail to the right and wide of the posts.

A quick piece of improvisation from Moloney levelled the tie in the 47th minute, a quickly taken free into the unmarked Anglea McGuigam, the corner forward sent her shot over the blackspot, Tipperary did find the start they needed to the second half.

Lauren Fitzpatrick was under pressure at one end, but at the other Tipp found their feet as Elaine Kelly raced up from the back and split the posts to give the Premier their first lead in the contest.

Another quick move toward the Waterford goal looked to bring another score for Tipp, but an over cooked pass saw the ball go out over the end line and the Deise could go up the other end of the park, another free gave McGregor the chance to level, she made no mistake, 0-5 a piece after 54 minutes.

In a pulsating final few minutes it was anyone's game, it was a questions of when the referee would below the final whistle, as both pressed on well after the hour mark came to conclusion, McGregor had the chance to win the tie with a free into the fourth minute of stoppage time, that dropped into the grateful hands of Lauren Fitzpatrick, the whistle sounding, extra-time needed to separate the sides.

Despite playing into the stiff breeze in the opening half of extra-time, Waterford took the lead with Katie Murray pointing inside two minutes, she was not deemed fit to start, but her cameo off the bench gave them the lead.

Moloney had the ball in the Deise soon after following a high dropping ball into the square, but she collided with Evelyn O’Brien and the Waterford keeper needed treatment as a free out was awarded against the Tipp forward.

The Player from Cahir would get her score soon after, Tipp turning it over and after being awarded a free, the forward stroked over her third point of the contest, five minutes elapsed in the opening half and still it was hard to separate the sides.

We saw in the first half when Tipperary had a free overturned for taking too long to play the ball, as Waterford had a free out, Burke again blew his whistle deeming it took too long to take the free, Moloney given a chance at the posts and once again she converted and Tippeary pulled ahead 0-7 to 0-6 after 68 minutes.

Fouls were certainly the kryptonite of Tipperary’s game plan, they conceded another free that Kellyann Hogan opted to take, a high pressure kick but the Ballymacarbry forward grabbed her third score of the contest.

It was still hard to separate the teams, but a second yellow card right at the end of the first half of extra-time for Nimah Martin, saw Tipperary forced to play with 14 players for the remainder of the contest.

Almost a double blow as Hogan looked to add a late score to lead at the break, but that came off the crossbar, danger was averted a free awarded after a Tipp player was knocked to the floor gathering the loose ball, the call for half time 0-7 a piece.

Like the second half, Tipperary managed to start better in the second half of extra-time, Laura Morrissey managing to race through the Deise rearguard and get a shot at the posts, it dropped over and the advantage was with the Premier two minutes into the second half.

As Tipperary were playing keep ball trying to maintain possession and work down the clock, from another well worked move, Waterford had a tap over free following another foul that Hogan slotted over to level in the 78th minute, from the resulting kick out it was almost a huge error from Fitzpatrick to give Waterford another score but the referee called for a free out.

Again Tipp found their route to goal arduous, while for the Deise, Hogan inside the final minute of the allotted ten for the second half of extra time, had another free to potentially win the contest, but it drifted right and wide of the posts, after 80 gruelling, energy sapping and pulsating minutes of action, the cruel hand of fate would strike as we headed for a free taking competition.

From 25 metres out, it was now a tough task for the players to take pressure kicks to preserve their senior status, Hogan and Moloney both struck their kicks, Brid McMaugh was next for the Deise and she converted, while Emma Morriseey followed suit to make it 2-2.

The first miss came from Kate McGrath after the third free for her side, while Laura Dillon also missed the third kick at the posts, added to the nerves and tension, Eve Power showed no sign of nerves as she kicked them into a 3-2 lead, but Tipperary goalkeeper from Ballymacarbry Lauren Fitzpatrick levelled.

Emma Murray missed the fifth free leaving it 3 from 5 for the Deise, but Cliona O’Dwyer had the chance to win it, her free dropped short and we were into sudden death. Evelyn O’Brien gave Waterford the edge in sudden death having split the posts, Angela McGuigan stepped up and kept the tension going converting the free, each side scoring 4 from 6.

Advantage went back the Deise’s way as Katie Murray made no mistakes, Maria Curley was next for the Premier, no nerves from the centre-back however as she kept her side in the contest.

Abby Murphy missed the following kick for Waterford, leaving the advantage in the hands of Tipp cornerback Emma Cronin, to preserve their status as a Senior side, Cronin curled on her left boot the strike over the bar, Tipperary safe for another year as a Senior side while Waterford face Cavan in the Relegation Final next weekend.


1Lauren Fitzpatrick Goalkeeper
2Elaine Kelly Defender 50'
3Lucy Spillane Defender
4Emma Cronin Defender
5Laura Dillon Defender 45'
6Maria Curley Defender
7Cliona O’Dwyer Defender
8Laura Morrissey Midfielder 72'
9Niamh Martin Midfielder 30+1'
17Sarah English 10 Defender
11Emma Morrissey Forward
12Nora Martin Forward
13Angela McGuigan Forward 47'
14Emma O’Sullivan 29 Forward
15Aisling Moloney Forward 38', 43', 65', 68'
16Stephanie Walsh
10Clara English 17 Forward
18Maureen Murphy Forward
19Sarah Ryan Forward
20Katelyn Downey Defender
21Nell Spillane
22Aine Delaney
23Eabha Hogan
24Aoife Flynn
25Aeidin McCormack
26Hazel Brennan
27Tara Hoare
28Rosanna Kiely
29Marie Creedon 14 Forward
30Neassa Towey Forward


1Evelyn O’Brien Goalkeeper
18Hannah Power Defender
3Laura Mulcahy Defender
4Aoife Murray Defender
5Eve Power Defender
6Emma Murray Defender
7Karen McGrath Defender
8Aine O’Neill Midfielder
9Bríd McMaugh Midfielder
10Kellyann Hogan Forward 15', 16', 70', 78'
11Annie Fitzgerald 19 Forward
12Aoibhe Waring Forward
17Catherine Hynes 13 Forward
14Kate McGrath Forward
15Lauren McGregor 26 Forward 11', 26', 54'
16Katelyn Gardner
2Cora Murray 24 Defender
13Katie Murray 17 Forward 62'
19Caragh McCarthy 11 Forward
20Neesha Whelan
21Orlaith Kennedy
22Sadhbh Hallinan
23Ellen Bolger
24Aobhla Motherway 2
25Molly Comerford Forward
26Abby Murphy 15
27Sheena McGuckian Forward
28Niamh Power Defender

Past Meetings

(Round 2)
1-9 1-7
Munster Senior Championship
Fraher Field


Piltown GAA Complex, R698, Pilltown, The Municipal District of Piltown, County Kilkenny, Leinster, E32 ND23, Ireland

Diarmuid Kearney is a freelance Sports Journalist based in Co Kerry. He has more than 5 years experience covering domestic and international soccer for different media organisations, while also working for local and national print and digital organisations covering GAA.