Roundup: AIL – Men’s Division 2C

Enniscorthy sit on top of the Energia Mens All-Ireland League Division 2C on point ahead of Bangor and Skerries, following the second round on Saturday.

Skerries required a whirlwind second half performance, to overcome Bruff 18-17 at Kilballyowen Park.

Kevin McGrath crossed for the games opening try, as the Dublin side led 5-0 in the opening minutes, Bruff added a penalty and an unconverted try, to lead 8-5.

Both sides exchanged penalties, before Bruff added another to lead 14-8. Bruff added yet another penalty, to lead 17-8, as Skerries were doing everything to come back. 

Into the final ten minutes, Oisin McKay crossed for a try, with Paul O’Loghlen adding the conversion, to make it 17-15 as the hosts remained two ahead. O’Loghlen won the game for his side minutes later, keeping a cool head to slot a penalty.

Enniscorthy were 38 point winners over City of Derry, the Wexford side winning 48-10 at Judges Road. Scorty running in four tries by half time, the side leading 29-5 at the interval.

The visitors added another shortly after the restart, Callum O’Hagan added his second try for the Derry side, their only points of the game. Seven tries in total for Enniscorthy as they crossed for two more late on.

Bangor picked up a bonus point victory, over Clonmel at Ardgaoither, as they picked up a 29-13 win. The County Down side built up a 10-0 lead, by the 17th minute, Clonmel adding a penalty just before the break, as the half time score read 10-3, in favour of Bangor.

The Ulster side crossed for their second try of the game, in the 44th minute, as they built up a 12 point lead, 15-3. They crossed again in the 64th minute, to add their third try, as Clonmel trailed by 19 points.

Roland Marki crossed in the corner, to give Clonmel their opening try, in the 73rd minute, with the conversion missing the target. Bangor replies quickly to the hosts try, getting in under the posts to get the bonus point, to lead 29-8 in the 75th minute. Dean Slattery crossed for the home side in the 80th minute, as he brought the gap down to 16 points.

Midleton picked up the Cork bragging rights, as they overcame fellow side Sundays Well 14-6 at Towns Park. The home side crossed twice to get their first win of the season, limiting the Well to just two penalty attempts all game.

A last second drop goal, gave Tullamore a 19-16 win over Omagh Academicals at the Thomas Mellon Playing Fields.

The Offaly side led 13-3 at the break, crossing for two unconverted tries, as Omagh added one penalty. Omagh came back midway through the half to level matters, both sides exchanged penalties late in the half, but it was the decisive drop goal, that gave Tullamore their second win of the season. 

Diarmuid Kearney is a freelance Sports Journalist based in Co Kerry. He has more than 5 years experience covering domestic and international soccer for different media organisations, while also working for local and national print and digital organisations covering GAA.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *