Roundup: AIL – Men’s Division 2A

Following the second day of action in Division 2A of the Energia Mens All Ireland League, it remains a two horse race, with Queen’s University and MU Barnhall both on 10 points, after securing bonus point wins.

The Tipperary derby between Cashel and Nenagh Ormond, was cancelled due to Covid 19, with both sides awarded two points.

A late try by James McCormick, gave Ballymena a 29-22 win over Buccaneers at Eaton Park. The home side looked strong, early in the opening half, leading 22-3 midway through, as Dean Millar, Adam Lamont and James McCormick all powering over.

Buccaneers scored two quick tries before the break, as the Ulster side led 22-15 at the interval. The Athlone side drew level a short while after the restart, but McCormick was on hand again for his side, as he crossed from another driving maul. Fly-half Tim Small added the insurance, as he converted the extra two points.

Dolphin were 43 point winners over Rainey Old Boys, the Cork side running rampant at Musgrave Park, winning 56-13.

Dolphin lead 25-10 at the break, a tight opening half between the sides, but their second half performance was outstanding, Rob Readon, Tim Marron, Craig O’Connell and Brian O’Mahony all added second half tries, seven in total, as kicker Daryl Foley had a day to remember.

MU Barnhall recorded back to back bonus point wins, as they were 33-13 point winners over UL Bohemians at Parsonstown. Two early penalties by Harry Byrne had Bohemians, 6-0 ahead by the 17th minute.

Just before the interval, Barnhall got in for two quick tries, as they pushed the lead out to eight points, 14-6 at half time. Two minutes after the restart, Barnahlll crossed for their third try, as they were putting a mark on the game, they secured the bonus point in the 54th minute, crossing to make it 26-6.

Bohemians got their only try of the game, just on the hour mark, touching down in the corner, with Byrne again on hand to kick the two points. Barnhall scored their fifth try at the death, the side looking in great shape this year, after just two games.

Queen’s University secured a bonus point win over Old Crescent, the students winning comprehensively 40-21.

The Ulster side dominated the opening half, getting four converted tries before the half hour mark. Cian Raele got his sides first score in the 35th minute, he crossed over with Ronan McKenna converting, 28-7 on the scoreboard.

The home side got their second before the break, Jack O’Mahony going over with McKenna adding the extras, the Queen’s lead down to 14 at the break, 28-14.

Two further tries midway into the second half, helped Queen’s University build up a healthy 26 point lead, 40-14 in the 50th minute. The Limerick side crossed late on for their third try, the students looking strong at the top of the table.

Diarmuid Kearney is a freelance Sports Journalist based in Co Kerry. He has more than 5 years experience covering domestic and international soccer for different media organisations, while also working for local and national print and digital organisations covering GAA.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *