Kerry v Limerick

Cork v Kerry

Munster SFC: Strong second half powers Kerry to final

Sean O’Shea helped guide Kerry to a 0-23 to 0-11 point win, over rivals Cork in Pairc Uí Rinn this evening in front of 10,743 spectators.

The result sees Kerry make their way to the Munster Senior Football Final, O’Shea's 0-10 leaving Cork struggling to find scores to bring them back in the tie.

Cork did however look good in spells, Stephen Sherlock a standout performer, but still a gap in quality remains between the two.

The opening half was a heated battle with very little separating the teams at half time, Stephen Sherlock inform for Cork managing 0-6 of their first half tally, with Kerry holding firm at the break the forward line looking sharp again.

It was a tight opening start to the contest as David Clifford and Sherlock, exchanged two scores each with Cork not letting Kerry lead in the opening eight minutes.

The Kingdom came back into the tie with three scores to put them 0-5 to 0-2 ahead, after the 13th minute mark, but again Sherlock kept Cork within arms length, before Sean O’Shea restored a three point lead.

O’Shea extended the Kerry advantage, before Cork came back with three Sherlock points, with Cathail O’Mahony adding the other score. Kerry would take a two point lead into the break, with Diarmuid O’Connor and Tony Brosnan getting on the board, to make it 0-9 to 0-7.

The second half continued in a similar fashion, but Kerry’s engine ticked over in the final 20 minutes, rattling off score after score to make it a comfortable 12 points in the end.

O’Shea continued his scoring exploits after the restart with two quick frees, either side of an O’Mahony effort to steady the ship in the Kerry favour, but two back to back points for the Rebels, saw them trail by one after 48 minutes as they tried to put a foot back into the tie.

From here on in it was all the way of the Kingdom, kicking eight scores in a row to pull out a 0-19 to 0-10 lead by the 63rd minute. Eoghan Sweeney kicked Cork’s first score in 15 minutes just minutes later, a consolation score in the end as four more points without reply, saw Kerry into the final with a comfortable 12 point cushion.


Kerry v Tyrone

Roundup: D1 Allianz Football League

Kerry and Mayo will contest the final of Division 1 of the Allianz Football League, after Mayo were victorious over Kildare this afternoon, while at the bottom of the table Dublin are relegated after their shock start to the season, while Kildare also go down after a valiant showing this year.

Monaghan 3-13 Dublin 1-18, Clones

A late Jack McCarron free sees Monaghan remain in Division 1 next year, while Dublin are relegated following the one point defeat, a Dean Rock injury time penalty looked to have saved the Dubs but McCarron was accurate as ever to see them home, as both teams finished with 14 men

Dublin started the better in the opening half, pulling out a 0-4 to 0-1 lead, before Monaghan came back Sean Jones hitting the net after nine minutes, to lead 1-3 to 0-4 but the momentum would shift throughout the half, but Monaghan held firm to lead 1-7 to 0-8 at the interval.

Monaghan remained ahead after the restart pulling out a 2-9 to 0-8 lead as McCarron buried a penalty in the 41st minute, Dublin started to come back into the tie and shortly after Ryan Wylie was sent off, before James McCarthy was sent off, amidst the drama McCarron had made it 3-10 to 0-14, a dramatic end but Monaghan will be happy with the result in the end.

Donegal 1-14 Armagh 1-13, Letterkenny

A late score by Paddy McBrearty gave Donegal a final day win in Letterkenny, a blow for Armagh as it sees them miss out on a league final after a great season, Donegal had laid the marker down in the opening half but Armagh never looked like giving up the tie, with the final their most important goal.

Donegal got out of the trap early in O’Donnell Park, they were controlling a free flowing contest before Jason mcgee hit the net after 10 minutes, to push them 1-04 to 0-02 ahead, it remained in the hosts favour for the majority of the half, but Aidan Nugent reduced their lead to 1-08 to 1-05, as he goaled after 32 minutes, but Michael Murphy and McBrearty scored late in the half for a 1-10 to 1-05 lead at the break.

After the restart Donegal remained ahead, Murphy missed a penalty for them midway through the half, with Armagh slowly reducing the gap trailing 1-12 to 1-11 after 19 minutes in the half, Rian O’Neill levelled just before injury time but the final act fell to the hosts with McBrearty remaining a key man in the Donegal setup.

Tyrone 1-15 Kerry 2-11, Fitzgerald Stadium

Tyrone survived a last day relegation battle with a one point win over Kerry in Killarney, a performance good enough to see them remain in the Division, as they battled hard to get the points over Kerry in the end. 

Knowing the stakes going into the tie it was Tyrone that edged the opening half of football in Killarney, it was a slow start to the game but a Tony Brosnan goal after 15 minutes looked to have kicked the game into life. Tyrone came back to level matters after 20 minutes, before leading 0-7 to 1-2 minutes later, David Clifford kept Kerry in the game before Tony Brosnan made it 1-5 to 0-9 at half time.

It was hard to separate the teams into the second half, Brian Ó Beaglaíoch kicking an equaliser in the 41st minute, Tyrone went ahead again before Brosnan hit the net again this time from a penalty, 2-7 to 0-11 in favour of Kerry but Tyrone remained in the tie and hot a goal minutes later to regain their lead. 

Paul Geaney kicked Kerry level before Clifford put thema point ahead, back came the visitors before Gavin White added a point as he returned from injury, three unanswered points had the Ulstermen two ahead of  injury time, before Geaney halved the deficit in the 69th minute, neither team could find the mark in added time as Tyrone survive.

Mayo 2-20 Kildare 0-18, Avant Money Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada

Mayo await Kerry in the League Final after finishing well to dispatch a game Kildare, they looked strong throughout and are rewarded with a chance at silverware if they can defeat an old foe.

After a frantic opening half it was Mayo who had a final spot while Kildare looked to be relegated, it was a terrific game for neutrals alike as Mayo were ahead 1-10 to 0-12 at the break, Ryan O’Donoghue finding the net after 12 minutes, a lead they held until the 26th minute when Ben McCormack pointed for a 0-10 to 1-6 lead, it was a nervy few minutes to end the half but Mayo were ahead at the break.

Mayo kept their lead intact after the restart building on their scores, before Jordan Flynn found the net after 14 minutes, to put breathing room between the teams 2-14 to 0-16. The hosts continued to control, the tie, their forwards including O’Donoghue, Jason Doherty and Jack Carney in sensational form as they helped kick them into the decider with the Kingdom,


Kerry v Mayo


Kerry v Donegal

Roundup: D1 Allianz Football League

Kerry overtook Armagh for top spot in Division One of the Allianz Football League, Armagh held to a draw at the Athletic Grounds, Mayo picked up an historic win over Dublin at Croke Park, while Tyrone managed to get their first win of the campaign. 

Kerry 1-13 Donegal 0-7, Fitzgerald Stadium.

Kerry go top of Division 1, after a comprehensive nine point win over Donegal in Killarney. Sean O’Shea was having a great afternoon at half forward, kicking 0-7 as he spearheaded the Kerry attack, David Clifford needed just six minutes to make his mark off the bench, grabbing the only goal of the game.

Donegal had initially done well to contain Kerry in the first half. The visitors' possession game working well in the opening quarter, by the 12th minute they made it 0-2 apiece from Shane O'Donnell's fisted pass, Donegal made no apologies for passing it around in their own half and in midfield for long periods, but struggled to kick scores for the remainder of the half,

Kerry were seven points ahead at half-time after playing with the strong wind into the Lewis Road end in the opening period, Clifford struck for the game's only goal in the 49th minute, Donegal goalkeeper Shaun Patton will have nightmares about it, the shot was mis-hit but bounced in front of Pattonand bouncing off the keeper and into the net.

Tyrone 2-7 Kildare 0-12 O’Neills Healy Park Omagh 

Tyrone had to come from behind to claim their first win of the year, as they managed a one point win over a game Kildare this afternoon. Two second half goals were the crucial scores for the defending All Ireland Champions, who have had their squad ravaged in recent weeks, but a crucial result for them to avoid the drop.

Kildare had a four point lead at the break, which could have been more if Paddy Woodgate’s goal bound effort before the half, managed to dip under the crossbar, rather than fly over it for a single point, but the Lilywhites looked in control at the break. Four minutes after the restart Tyrone had their first goal, Conn Fitzpatrick finding the back of the net, putting a point between the teams.

Kildare netminder Mark Donnellan hit a free that snuck over the bar after 42 minutes, giving them a two point cushion, 1-5 to 0-10. Just before the hour mark, Tyrone waved the green flag again, Darren McCurry getting the goal after Conor Meyler was superb in the build-up, putting them a point ahead. Darragh Kirwan drew the game again for Kildare after 63 minutes, before Niall Morgan had to be sharp to save a goal bound shot from him in the final five minutes.

Richie Donnelly landed a brilliant point before the clock ticked red for injury time, putting them back ahead by one, before McCurry hit the upright but managed to make it 2-7 to 0-11 late on. Daniel Flynn bore down on goal but his shot flew over the bar, leaving it a one point game with 73 minutes elapsed, Donnellan missed a late free to level the tie, as Tyrone dragged themselves over the line.

Armagh 1-7 Monaghan 0-10, Athletic Grounds

Armagh have continued their unbeaten start to the National League, but will be disappointed not to have taken the victory, after drawing 1-7 to 0-10 at home to Monaghan.

The biggest talking point of the game came from a penalty for Armagh,Rory Beggan acrobatically denied Rian O'Neill, touching the high shot onto the crossbar, but footage looks to have shown the ball crossing the line.

Nonetheless, Armagh continued to pour forward, forcing a turnover and scoring a goal through Conor Turbitt in the 53rd minute, making it 0-9 to 1-4. Tiernan Kelly then gave Armagh the lead in the 62nd minute. But try as they might, Armagh couldn't continue their surge.

A Jack McCarron free brought it level once more as the game entered injury-time, and neither side could find a winner late on.

Dublin 0-12 Mayo 2-11, Croke Park

Mayo have further added to Dublin's woes, after a five point win in Croke Park on Saturday night. A third consecutive loss for the Sky blues, two of which have come at headquarters, looks to have them fighting a relegation battle.

First half goals from Jack Carney and Aiden Orme laid the platform for Mayo's second win of the campaign which, allied to their draw against Donegal, leaves them joint top of the table with Armagh. Diarmuid O’Connor and Rob Hennelly put in big performances, while Matthew Ruane and Oisin Mullen returned.

By starting Michael Fitzsimons and introducing Jonny Cooper and Cian Murphy, manager Dessie Farrell has now handed game time to 46 different players this season, Dublin had a strong second half against Kerry but were wayward against Mayo, making unlikely unforced errors all evening and kicking several bad wides which cost them any chance of a result. Dublin's trip to Newbridge to play Kildare now looks like a must win for them.


Kerry v Dublin

Roundup: D1 Allianz Football League

Armagh remain top of Division 1 in the Allianz Football League, following victory over Tyrone, Jack O’Connor picked up his first league win in his third stint as Kerry manager, vanquishing their old foes in a wet night in Tralee, Donegal and Mayo also build on their performances last weekend to secure their first wins of the season.

Kerry 1-15 Dublin 0-11 Austin Stack Park

Kerry extended their unbeaten record in the league to 10, after a seven-point win over the Dubs in Tralee. David Clifford was the star man again for the Kingdom, despite missing a penalty the Fossa man scored four points, catching the eye with some super scores.

The Kingdom pulled out a ten point lead by the interval, Dublin failing to contest against the Kerry forward line, Dara Moynihan getting a goal for the home side, the only one of the contest after Dean Rock had one ruled out for a tackle in the build up.

Dessie Carrel’s men emerged for the second half rejuvenated, the Kingdom managing just a single score in the half as Paul Geaney hit the mark in the 46th minute, six points in a row cutting the gap down on a poor night weather wise in Tralee.

Armagh 2-14 Tyrone 0-14, Athletic Grounds

Armagh remain top of the division picking up back to back wins, with a six point margin of comfort against Ulster rivals Tyrone. A game which saw five red cards in the end, finishing with 14 against 11, all reds coming in the final minute of play.

The hosts started strong like the previous weekend, pulling out a 2-8 to 0-4 lead at half time. Greg McCabe and Jason Duffy both found the back of the net, Rian O’Neill kicking three points.

The All Ireland champions produced a better display after the interval, Cathal McShane pulled them within six at the death, the corner forward managing seven points all afternoon, with all coming in the second half.

Monaghan 1-11 Mayo 2-10, St Tiernach's Park

Mayo left it late to secure victory over a game Monaghan this afternoon, Ryan O’Donoghue kicking a late point to give them a two point win. James Horan looked to have setup to right the wrongs from the previous weekend, with a well worked team display this afternoon.

The Ulstermen had led by a point at half time, 1-8 to 1-7, O'Donoghue netted early for the Westerners before Jack McCarrom raised the green flag with a well taken effort.

O’Donoghue led the line for Mayo, managing 1-6 for the afternoon, his scores bringing them close before Jason Doherty hammered home a second goal in the 51st minute, Conor McManus made it a one point game in the 69th minute with a free, but they failed to capitalise late on. 

Donegal 2-11 Kildare 1-9, Páirc Seán MacCumhaill

Donegal picked up their first win of the campaign with a 2-11 to 1-9 scoreline over Kildare in Ballybofey, Kildare unable to build on their performance from the previous weekend to get a win in the division.

Paddy McBrearty and Ryan McHugh both found the back of the net in the opening half, as they pulled out a 2-7 to 1-4 lead by the interval. Jimmy Hyland raising the green flag for the Lillywhites.

Into the second half both sides were low scoring, Conor O’Donnell, Michael Langan and Shane O'Donnell added to the hosts score over a 20 minute period. Kildare pushed on and looked to try to reduce the gap, they trailed by five before Jimmy Hyland pointed in injury time, his effort cancelled out minutes later by Langan.


Kerry v Clare

Kerry v Galway