Review: Allianz NFL Div 2 Week 7

Dublin and Derry have been promoted to Division 1 and will contest the Division 2 Final, Stephen Cluxton returning was the biggest talking point on the final day in the Division.

Clare 2-18 Limerick 0-9, Cusack Park

Clare cruised to victory in Ennis, their first win of the league campaign ensuring they avoided finishing bottom.

A first half performance with Keelan Sexton notching 0-5 put them in control of the tie, leading 0-11 to 0-3 at the break, they found their mojo early and never looked in doubt.

Mark McInerney and Ciaran Downes added second half goals to give the Banner County an impressive 15 point winning margin in the end, Limerick having to end the tie with 14 men after Aifan Enright was shown a red card.

Cork 1-14 Derry 1-14, Páirc Uí Chaoimh

Derry remained unbeaten despite a stalemate on Leeside, Cork scoring 1-1 in added time as Conor Corbett pointed the levelling score.

A tie that had it all, one that Derry led at the end of the opening half, Gareth McKinless was black carded at the end of that half with Cork behind by three.

Derry came out of the blocks to add four quick points before Shea Downey netted to halt an early Cork comeback, however Derry struggled with their chances and five points in a row the last by Corbett left three between them. Padraig Cassidy felt he had the tie put to bed with a score before added time was eaten into, but Cork found a way to take points.

Dublin 0-16 Louth 1-5, Croke Park

Dublin are back in Division 1 but the main talking point will be Stephen Cluxton back in the Dublin setup.

It was a low scoring opening half at headquarters but one the Dubs controlled by a point, four scores with Colm Basquel adding two. After Brian Fenton, Sean Bugler, Daire Newcombe, Basquel and Cormac Costello all pointed for a six point lead after 47 minutes.

Liam Jackson hit the net in the 48th minute as Louth made it a three point game, but Dublin hit full gear once again, five points in a row had them home and hosed by the end of normal time, as they cruised to the win.

Kildare 0-13 Meath 0-8, St Conleth’s Park

Kildare finished fifth after a narrow win over neighbours Meath in Newbridge.

The Lilywshites through Jack Robinson and Darragh Kirwan edged the opening half 0-8 to 0-3, as they both chipped in with a couple of points each to give them a five point cushion at the break.

They added three further points after the break before Meath could hit a reply, Kildare may have gone sleeping a bit as the half wore on, as we entered stoppage time the lead was four points, but they had enough to prevent a late change to the outcome.

Diarmuid Kearney is a freelance Sports Journalist based in Co Kerry. He has more than 5 years experience covering domestic and international soccer for different media organisations, while also working for local and national print and digital organisations covering GAA.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *