Job Title: Sports Multimedia Journalist
Location: Head Office in Carrick on Shannon, Co. Leitrim. While Covid restrictions apply this position will be an entirely remote role. There will be flexibility on location after Covid, including the potential to remote entirely a remote role.
Reports to: Managing Editor
Contract: Full Time, 1 Year Contract
About Final Whistle:
Final Whistle is a brand new online platform launching in March 2021 covering Irish sport, from the team behind the Leitrim Daily platform. As part of an exciting expansion of the sports coverage of Leitrim Daily we are now seeking some assistance in this role. This will include League of Ireland, Women’s National League, All-Ireland League Rugby and Gaelic Games at county & club grades.
We are looking for a sports multimedia journalist to lead the content in our new Final Whistle platform and to create and present expert, authoritative and entertaining sports coverage from sports events across Ireland. The candidate will be required to report for multi-platform outlets, including online articles, videos, podcasts and social media. The successful candidate will need to have excellent working knowledge of Irish sport and an understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media sports coverage.
They will deliver content for regular sports audio and video shows and will be expected to contribute innovative ideas, drive the creative vision and present the content. They must demonstrate strong editorial judgement and solid journalistic skills. They will be able to write creatively, accurately and succinctly, and understand how to find and generate original and engaging sports stories that can work across all platforms. You will be adept at planning and producing video and audio packages, desk top editing, producing graphics, and arranging for guests to appear on our output.
The job will require ambition, imagination and a large degree of initiative with high editorial, journalism and production values expected.
- To compile and present engaging content offering new perspectives and deeper exploration to sports stories, interviews, profiles and digital content.
- To plan, structure, write and produce content for use on Digital & Social and to develop treatments of the highest quality and with journalism at the heart.
- To pitch original stories, making sure that they work for online & social platforms.
- To have a good working relationship with other departments with the organisation, Irish national governing bodies of sport, leagues and clubs.
- To prepare edited material to produce inserts and packages for the various online and social outlets which form the platform.
- To find and brief contributors for live and edited stories and interview them for broadcast.
- Assist in the management of freelance journalists to assist in the coverage of sporting events.
- To watch / attend live sporting events in order to tell a story through reporting, audio and video.
Skills and Experience
- At least a basic knowledge of Irish sport, in particular sport that appeals to an Irish audience.
- Experience of reporting and presentation particularly in video and audio to highest standards. Authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to listeners and viewers.
- Strong digital understanding and awareness.
- Creativity and ideas generation with the ability to think originally and to contribute fully to the planning process.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Ability to remain calm while working to deadlines, apply sensible work priorities and pace throughout assignments.
- Good team working skills both as a team leader and a team player.
- Proven editorial judgement and the ability to make decisions under tight deadlines.
- Well-developed organisational skills and the ability to maintain a high standard of performance whilst under pressure.
- To be aware of breaking news and be ready to file accurate, immediate on-the spot reports.
- An awareness of the latest technology and the ability to learn new skills.
- Knowledge and practical experience of weekly and/or daily journalism.
- Well-developed communication skills and the ability to work well within a team.
Please forward your CV, a short video and / or audio showreel or demo and a max of 3 samples of written work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 5pm Wednesday, 24th February 2021.
Interviews: Will commence on receipt of application for an immediate start.